Sunday, December 11, 2011

Similes & Metaphors with The Grinch

My favorite activity before Christmas is to introduce similes and metaphors using the song, "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."  I'm sure this is not an original idea, but the idea for this lesson did come to me as I was driving home from school three years ago and heard the song on the radio.  What I'm sayin' is, I didn't intentionally borrow this lesson plan from anyone!  First, I usually have a quick intro lesson on similes and metaphors.  You know, the basics.  Similes compare two things using like or as, metaphors don't.  We look at some examples and students have some practice creating their own.  The next day, or mini-lesson, whichever I see fit for the group I have, I pass out the words to the Grinch song and we listen to it on You Tube.  



Next, I split students into random groups.  Sometimes I do this by passing out Christmas icon cards and students have to find the matches.  Other times I just use the random sorter in Smart Notebook.  I give the students about 10-15 minutes to find as many similes and metaphors in the song.  They then write their similes and metaphors here to display in the hallway and classroom.  

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome! What a fabulous way to tie in the holidays :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I am going to use this right away! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this today!! Loved it. My kiddos even drew their similes! Blogged and linked to here for the inspiration! Thanks!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brainpop has a great introduction to similes and metaphors. I am going to do that before the Grinch activity and after the Grinch activity I will have them go back to a story they are currently working on and find places to add similes and metaphors. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Although, Christmas is over, I think my students will love doing this activity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete