Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Talk Thursday!


This is another new-to-me book, but I'm sure not new to some of you.  My friend/co-worker brought And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss into me this morning when she saw that I was going to be launching Work on Writing today for Daily 5.  Always looking for a new read aloud, I peeked at it and used it immediately!  This is a book about a boy whose father always asks him what he saw on his way to and from school.  The boy is quite the storyteller, who comes up with some outlandish tales.  The boy was determined to find something true to tell his father about, but just couldn't help letting his imagination run away from him.  What he really saw on Mulberry Street was a horse pulling a wagon, which he thought was too boring.  He changed it to a zebra pulling a wagon.  Then the wagon becomes a chariot.  Throughout the story, the boy changes the story of what he saw in order to make his story more interesting.  This is a great book for introducing Work on Writing, or when discussing the ideas trait.  It can also be used when you're teaching how to add more descriptive details to stories.  I hope that some of you are able to use this book in your classrooms as well!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this book! Sounds perfect for a Friday! From one 4th grade teacher to another, thank you! Your blog is fabulous!

    http://teachingincuteshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is amazing and one of my favorites. I hereby bestow the Top 10 Award upon you and your amazing blog!!!

    ♥Rebecca
    Check it out here:
    My Top 10 Awards!

    Click here to grab your Award Button

    ReplyDelete