Friday, August 26, 2011

A Letter From A Student

Because we had some scheduling issues during this first week of school, I ended up with a lot more time in my afternoon class than my morning.  Not wanting to get one class ahead of the other, I decided to have my afternoon class write me letters about the first three days of school.  I wanted them to tell me what they liked and didn't like, and what they would change, if anything.  I got the usual letters:  "I love everything!" and "I would ask for more recess!" and "I would have no homework."  (Which, by the way, they haven't had any!)  But I also got this letter.  I thought all you Daily 5/CAFE and Book Whisperer believers would appreciate it.  


Dear Mrs. Owens, 


You really have changed my mind a lot about reading.  I used to not like to read but now I love to read and I hope that does not change ever.  Thank you for being my reading teacher.  I love when we get to read to self and I do thank you.  You are a good 4th grade teacher!!


How absolutely sweet is that?  The first three days of school!  This student, by the way, has already read two chapter books this week.  I am just so thrilled with how this school year has started.  I am LOVING teaching reading this year.  Without the interruptions of AR and Study Island, I have never had so much time before!  And my students are reading-A LOT!  If you didn't do The Book Whisperer read along this summer, I highly suggest you check it out!  It really will revitalize the way you think about teaching reading!  

14 comments:

  1. I am sooooooo excited to get back to school (we start Sept 6th) and try out everything from The Book Whisperer....I am glad to hear it's going well for you and I hope we can trade success stories back and forth all year!!
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told in my paper from a student, right after the "I wish I could have recess a little more often, though" or something like that, this student said, "Otherwise, I would not change anything because you are perfect." It was along those lines. I read it Friday afternoon after all they left, so I got a little teary eyed. I've been thinking about former students lately and how I want to see some by visiting the middle and high school this year. It has been more than five years for some. :(

    I know I haven't changed minds about reading yet, but it will happen in the next few weeks, hopefully. Nice letter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one my favorite must-read blogs. I present you with a Top 10 award. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas and inspiratoin ~Amanda @ The Teaching Thief
    My Top 10 Awards
    Grab Your Button Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks for sharing wonderful stuff.

    Thanks
    Improve your Rankings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good article, I have read completely. Keep posting!
    Blog

    ReplyDelete