Sunday, June 26, 2011

Getting to Know...Mrs. Owens




Mrs. Lyons at Thinking of Teaching has posted questions that she asked Donalyn Miller, author of The Book Whisperer.  Which, by the way, I must add is my new favorite book.  I haven't been able to put it down since Friday.  Mrs. Lyons has asked us bloggers to join in the fun and is having a linky party!  Here is a little bit more about me...


1) What is your favourite book (or series) from childhood?
I always remember reading the Little House series in bed every night with my Mom.  Most of my reading experiences from childhood involve my Mom.  I also loved the American Girl series, especially the Molly books-WWII era.  It helped me relate to my grandmother and grandfather.  I even had (actually still have) a Molly doll!  (Do you notice a historical fiction-theme here?  Maybe why I teach Reading & Social Studies!)

2) What is your favourite book (or series) now?
I read all the Nicholas Sparks books.  They are sappy love stories that I lose myself in and read so fast I usually finish them within a weekend.  
The books even inspired a trip to the Outer Banks a few years ago!  
My hubby buys each new Nicholas Sparks book for me whenever it comes out.  



Right now, I am currently reading The Spellman Files series.  I've read the first two books and the third is on hold at the library for me as we speak!  These are hilarious mystery books and perfect summer reads! 

3) What is your opinion of e-readers?
I did not like them when they first came out...there is just something to be said about actually holding a book and turning the pages.  I think I will feel very differently when my iPad is delivered in the next two weeks!  Although there will still be books I will buy in print (i.e., Nicholas Sparks!), I have a feeling I will be reading on the iPad quite often!

4) Finish this sentence: "On Sundays I like to..."
Well, I don't know if I like to, but on Sundays I grade papers and plan for the week.  I give myself Saturday to spend with my family, but everyone knows Sundays are planning days.  

5) Describe yourself in 5 words!
Loving mommy, wife, teacher, friend.  

6) Hardcover or paperback? Why?
Depends.  Of course, I prefer hardcover because they last longer, but paperback usually because it's cheaper.  

7) Coffee or Tea?
Tea-Iced, unsweetened.  I have a large, pink "Bubba Keg" mug that I carry to school every day with my iced tea-it keeps it cold all day long!  It's hilarious at the beginning of the year when the kids think I'm drinking coffee from it-I don't think I could see straight if it was full of coffee! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to have you with us for the read along! It's funny how many people have posted about drinking iced tea...which is a very different thing to us Canadians. Your iced tea is nothing like ours, which is very sweet.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete