Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Co-Teaching: Ever Tried It?

I went to a professional development yesterday on co-teaching.  My school is making a big push for more inclusion next year and co-teaching is the way to go.  I had an IST in my room for my morning Language Arts block this year, and after this PD I have realized we really didn't utilize the opportunity in the best way possible.  Actually, I knew all along that we weren't, but I didn't know any other way to go about it.  We are going to try out some co-teaching techniques throughout the end of this year to get some practice before next school year.  One thing that I think will really work in my (I mean, our) classroom--the seminar facilitator said there is no I, me, mine in co-teaching--is parallel teaching.  This is where the co-teachers each take half the class and teach the same thing.  In my class of 30 students, I think doing this will really benefit them.  There are other techniques, such as One Teach, One Observe, useful for data gathering on both students & teachers; Station Teaching, which would be especially useful in my Daily 5 classroom; and Teaming, which was described as "one brain, two bodies."  


I really like the idea of co-teaching and I am excited about doing it out again next year, and working to maximize it's benefits.  Has anyone else done co-teaching in their room?  I would love to hear about your successes!

5 comments:

  1. Our school began inclusion last year, so this is my 2nd year having the inclusion math. It took some time to get used to each other and get into a groove. It's great now. Depending on the needs or "toughness" of a skill coming up this is how our math classroom works:
    1. She starts out with a review- before state testing its fact review and word problem work. Closer to state testing its REVIEW review.
    2. Then I teach a mini-lesson.
    3. Finally we split into 3 groups. One group goes to a game or seat work, and then we both have a small group working on a specific skill. We might have the kids rotate if its something we want ALL the kids to experience, but sometimes we just pull two groups of students who need specific skill work.

    I LOVE IT!

    Amanda
    Third Grade Experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm SO glad you blogged about this. For the past 8 years I've been teaching, my students with learning disabilities were always pulled out for reading. Next year, I'll be teaming with our LD teacher for reading. All the kids will be in our room, with 2 teachers full-time. I'm super excited about the idea but SO clueless as to how to make it the most effective or what it will look like. Thanks for starting this conversation - and certainly let me know if you find any great resources or ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    I loved hearing how co-teaching works for you! How much planning do you and your co-teacher do together? I think that is what will be the hardest part.

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Owens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Bongers,
    Try visiting http://www.marilynfriend.com/. This is the website of the lady who taught the seminar.

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Owens

    ReplyDelete
  5. We plan every Thursday. She will usually get together any manipulatives or find websites we can use for our lessons. It works well. HOWEVER- it took us 2 years to get like this. It takes time getting used to each other and getting into a groove.

    ReplyDelete