Monday, July 18, 2011

Digital Books

Before I got my iPad, I had no use for digital books.  I always thought there was something to be said about reading an actual book with pages to turn.  My, what a difference a week makes!  I am obsessed with digital books!  Because many of us have, or are getting iPads and E-Readers, and very soon many of us will have iPads in our classroom, here are a few things that I have found useful in regards to digital books.  


If you Kindle, or want to Kindle, a Kindle app is free to download in the iTunes app store.  If your local grocery store offers fuel rewards, I suggest buying an Amazon gift card before purchasing your digital book.  My local Kroger & Giant Eagle offers double fuel perks on gift cards ($25 gift card = 50 fuel points!).  I suppose the same would be true for the Barnes & Noble Nook.  


Also, check out your local library to see if they offer a way to borrow digital downloads.  My local library participates in a program called Overdrive.  You can browse this link, but unfortunately cannot check anything out unless you have a library card with my local library system.  Digital & audio books can be downloaded from this site to borrow for 14 days.  Overdrive has an iPad app and the books go directly to your device.  There is something with the copyright that they can only have a limited number of digital titles out at a time, so you sometimes have to reserve it before you can check it out.  I recently downloaded and read a juvenile fiction book and a picture book for my son.  I strongly suggest asking your local library if they use a similar system.  It definitely saves money if you prefer e-reading!  

3 comments:

  1. Did you check out the app for ipad that I blogged about this morning? You have to check it out:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must've missed it earlier. I'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth it!!! Make sure you watch/play more than once or have your kids do it...I watch/read/played with it and then my 18 year old did and she found so many other interactive things that I missed:) It's very cute.

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete